Hello. I found this site on my net surfing.  It's very happy to share same happiness with you in Korea.

I can read and write a little Korean language. Sorry but it's not enough.

I am from Japan and living in Shikoku.  Now I am workig at Japanese governmental bank in Matsuyama. 26 years man.

I am a great fan of Sakamoto. When I was 9 years old, I started to listen to his compositions. Then I was fed up with to play classical piano pieces for lesson.  

Sakamoto inspired me so much because his music was so pop for me. He doesn't like pop music itself. But he is very good at applyng his music to popular and contemporary expressions.

Sakamoto learned classic music(piano and composition) and academic modern music in Tokyo University of Fine Arts. Some pop musicians have studied academic classic music but they are not outstanding. And thier works are not directly related with such studying knowlege.

Sakamoto is a rare musician succeeded to unite different fields of music. In his early works( 1978~83), his solo albums were rather avant-garde and forecasting the style of techno and sampling music.

Especially it's typical in "B-2 Unit". It's noisy and not easy to listen. In those days Sakamoto had some conflict with Hosono ( YMO's leader).

Then Hosono was intersted in shinto and some other religions but Sakamoto couldn't accept such tendencies. Because he doesn't like mysticism. So in the latter half of YMO years, Sakamoto's solo works are something reactionary to YMO.

When I was very young I didn't like such albums. I prefered to listen to "Neo Geo" , "Beauty"  and "heartbeat". But now I dare to evaluate "B-2 Unit" and "Left Handed Dreams".

Sakamoto made "Left Handed Dreams" after his short travel to Korea. In this compositions the rythm style is not like typical Europian music. It's basically made by rythem machine(TR808 or something) and syntesizer(Prophet 5). But it's a highly elaborated oriental rhythem perhaps inspired by Korean traditional or something.

Then Sakamoto couldn't use Mac sequencer (it was not available) so he calculated the rhythem by himself and probably input the data one by one for making unique vibration. It's so tiresome! He is not only a genius but also making trivial process everywhere.

That's why I recommend you "Left Handed Dreams". Try to listen that. Thanks for your reading.

Hajime Tanaka from Matsuyama, Shikoku, Japan